Ground water and surface water are major sources of drinking water in India. However, these sources are becoming increasingly contaminated and polluted, making the water unsuitable for human consumption. According to the Asian Development Research Institute (ADRI), wastewater, infrastructure development, industrial production, intensive agriculture, and untreated urban runoff are some major factors contributing to the poor quality of water in India.
If left untreated, this water may introduce bacteria, viruses, protozoa, lead, mercury, nitrate, arsenic, insecticides, fluoride, cadmium, and surfactants into potable drinking water. These microorganisms and contaminants are detrimental to human health. Hence, the demand for water purification systems has grown multifold in Indian households. A report by the leading market research company IMARC Group states that the Indian water purifier market is expected to witness a CAGR of 10.27% during 2022-2027.
Reverse Osmosis (RO) has been dominating the market share for water purification technology. However, water purifiers with Ultraviolet (UV) technology are regaining their popularity, especially after the COVID-19 pandemic. Research highlights that UV disinfection is a validated technology for disinfection of pathogens on water, air, and surfaces.
Here is all you need to know about UV water purifiers.
Understanding UV Water Purifiers
UV water purifiers use germicidal UV light of 254 nm wavelength which disrupts the nucleic acids present in the DNA of microorganisms. The UV light prevents them from reproducing or multiplying. UV water purifiers can effectively destroy 99.9% of the bacteria present in the water. It can inactivate bacteria, viruses, molds, cysts, algae and many other microorganisms which are known to cause water-borne diseases.
It is important to note that UV treatment doesn’t alter the properties of water chemically. It just uses UV energy to effectively disinfect water.
Functionality of UV Water Purifiers
UV water filter for homes has a special lamp that emits UV light by striking an electric arc through low-pressure mercury vapor. This lamp is located in a transparent glass quartz sleeve which allows UV light to penetrate the glass for disinfection of water.
Benefits of UV Water Purifiers
There are several reasons you should consider before buying UV water purifiers for your home.
- It treats water for coliforms, salmonella, fungi, vibrio cholerae, giardia, hepatitis B, streptococcus, dysentery bacilli, , mycobacterium tuberculosis, and meningitis. These pathogens are known to cause serious diseases in humans.
- It is a chemical-free process. Unlike chlorination and other water disinfection methods, the UV method doesn’t use any
- It does not waste any water (like in the case of RO technology), thereby supporting water conservation.
- It is a cost-effective method as only lamps and sleeves need to be replaced annually.
- It doesn’t change the taste or odor of water.
- Minerals in water are not affected by UV light..
- It is easy to install and maintain.
Safety Aspect of UV Water Purifiers
The most common question associated with UV water purifiers is whether it is safe to drink water treated with UV technology. The answer is yes. The method has been used for decades and is a tried and tested method. Research shows that UV is effective against all water-borne pathogens.
Moreover, the UV lamp is located inside the purifier and there is no danger of direct exposure. The technology has no disinfection byproducts due to which it is environment-friendly too. There is also no handling or storage of chemicals in this process.
All these factors make UV water purifiers completely safe to disinfect water and make it fit for human consumption.
Benefits of Alfaa UV Water Purifier
If you are considering buying a home water purifier, Alfaa UV’s ‘Ewater’ series is a good option. This series is among the top UV water purifier brands for residential use. The benefits you can get from Alfaa UV water purifiers are:
- Viruses and bacteria are removed through a five-step purification process.
- Drinking water that is safe, pure, without loss of mineralsis provided by it.
- For foolproof purification, this unit comes with stainless steel purification chambers and Flosteer TM technology.(TM in small above Flosteer)
- It is ideal for purifying municipal supplied water and for use with loft tanks/low water pressure conditions.
UNESCO Water Digest awarded Alfaa UV’s ewater and SPARKLE UV Water Purifiers the prestigious award for the category “Best Domestic UV Water Purifier”. In Singapore, the ‘Design Excellence Award 2015’ has also been given to Alfaa UV’s Ewater 5-stage UV water purifier.
To ensure the high quality and purity of water, Alfaa UV provides timely and dependable after-sales service.